Monday 3 March 2014

Introduction

Getting hyped up on free samples of energy gels, bars and coffee (that last one was my fault) I decided to start a USEFUL blog for like-minded people who also find themselves ripping small tubes of black plastic with their teeth whilst moving at 30mph and sucking out the apple crumble flavoured gunge inside. 

A 29 year old lady came to me in October 2012 saying she had entered herself for the 2013 Windsor Triathlon and could I teach her to swim; little did I know what I was getting myself in to when with an enthusiastic smile I said "of course". She works hard and plays hard in central London and wanted to break the monotony by entering a big event. So of course she went and picked The British Triathlon Federation's 7-time award winner to the 'Event of the Year'. 

Sarah couldn't swim a length (25m) of front crawl in a swimming pool and we had 8 months to get her ready for 1500m of an Olympic distance triathlon in the Thames. 

At first, I saw her on a weekly basis for 30 minutes of 1:1 technique training. She had to come back in her own time and practice the lesson before I saw her next. Fortunately for me, Sarah is a hard-working, determined individual who, once set her mind on something, will go out of her way to achieve. 

Over the 8 months our relationship evolved and I suggested she come work out with me in the gym as I could show her some sport-specific exercises to help make her stronger and faster and fitter. Sarah really loved her gym sessions with me despite the evil looks she shot me for the entire hour and her fitness improved vastly.

We were both training up to 8 times a week in open water swims, cycles, runs and gym sessions when Sarah asked the obvious, "why don't you just do a triathlon? you've done all the training."
It's true, I'd scrutinised her food diary, repetitively drilled her in the pool, nagged her to stretch whilst unwittingly putting myself through the same process. 

Sarah took part in the Windsor Triathlon on the 16th of June 2013, I dragged myself out of bed at 4.30am (I am NOT a morning person) to drive up to support her. I got to the swim exit just in time to see her climb out so I could scream like a mad woman all sorts of positive (positively ridiculous) things. She completed the swim in an impressive 33 minutes 32 seconds (remember she couldn't do a length 8 months prior!) and finished her first triathlon at 3:16:36.

I want to say a massive well done Sarah and THANK YOU for kicking my arse in to gear to get signed up for my first tri too. 

I completed the Votwo Eton Dorney Triathlon on 29th September 2013 in 2:59:37 and THAT is the beginning of my story. 





No comments:

Post a Comment